Re: DB backup 9.2.0.4 , rman and arcserve

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:28:13 GMT

Howard can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was talking about backing up directly to disk, and then copying the backup to another location (SAN, tape, CD-ROM, whatever). I'm sure Howard didn't mean to imply that your only backup should be on the same server as your database. So make sure you have a copy of your backup somewhere else. However, it is handy if a copy of that backup resides on the same server. Should you have a problem, you don't need to run and find the tape you copied it to and restore from tape. Your recovery times are greatly improved if you have it available on disk, but don't rely on that in case of a total failure.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com