Re: Oracle eats up memory

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:44:48 GMT

Poh wrote:

> My Oracle 8.1.5 running on Windows NT 4.0 is consuming a lot
> of memory and does not release the memory untill the client that is
> accessing the database is terminated. My client is also running on
> Windows NT4.0. My client is accessing the database using ADO.
> On startup, the client opens multiple connections to the database.
> The database is searched and updated by the client through stored
> procedure on the Oracle. The client closes the connections before
> terminating.
>
> I checked the task manager. It shows Oracle uses 245MB of memory
> and 570MB of virtual memory.
> Why Oracle continues to consume memory and does not release the
> memory until the client is terminated.

Have you verified that the memory is being held due to Oracle's action?

Or is it possibly due to the ADO client not releasing the connection (and the poor server is simply doing what it is told to do)? In which case, is it possible the client is using poorly developed code?

And is there a particularily good reason for still using 8.1.5 (which is obsolete, 'cause lots of stuff's been fixed). Any possibility of getting at least to 8.1.7, if not 9.2.x?

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]