Re: DB backup 9.2.0.4 , rman and arcserve

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:15:37 GMT

> Well, I know it's not what you are actually after, but why people backup
> directly to tape from RMAN I've never figured out. It's *good* to have
> backups on disk. Quicker to restore from, for one thing.

Because I've got a multi-terabyte database and I just don't have the disk space to hold the backup pieces. That's why I go directly to tape. Tis better to have a backup that is slow to recover from than no backup at all! But for smaller databases, I definitely go directly to disk and then *copy* the backup to tape later.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com