Re: Oracle on Linux. File layout and disc distribution.

From: Alejandro Bibiano González <informatica_at_laubat.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:56:14 +0100

First of all thanks for your answer.

The system has 2 Pentium IV 2.8GHz Xeon Processors. I don't know how many cache the RAID controller has. It's a Sun dual Ultra320 SCISI card.

My backup strategy is doing a back up to an external nfs volume.

Is Raid0+1 very better than RAID5?

Any suggestions for Linux partition distribution (/, /root, /opt...)?

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> escribió en el mensaje news:bo8hda$cb2$1_at_news.fujitsu-siemens.com...

> "Alejandro Bibiano González" <informatica_at_laubat.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
> > I have acquired a new server for my Oracle database. Te server is a Sun
Fire
> > V65x with RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 WS and 2Gb RAM.
> > Actually my database is installed on a Windows 200 Server, and the
> > approximated size is: INDEX and USR TABLESPACE about 3Gb, SYSTEM and RBS
> > 1Gb, and the rest 200Mb.
> > It will be my first Oracle installation on a Linux computer and I have
few
> > questions:
> > My Server has 2Gb Ram and 6x36Gb SCSI discs with a hardware RAID
controller.
> > What is the best RAID and disk distribution to install Oracle with this
> > hardware?
> > What is the best file layout in Linux (partitions)?
> > All recommendations are welcome.
> > I will also appreciate any suggest for the Oracle installation in my new
> > computer. It will arrive in 2 days.
> > A lot of thanks,
> > Alex Bibiano
> >
> > informatica_at_laubat.com
>
> Hi!
> The linux installation isn't that hard. Just be sure you have read
carefully the platform-independent
> instructions regarding the kernel parameters. How many processors do you
have on this?

> As for layout, that depends on the type of load. If it's mostly read-only
then it's less critical.
> If not, then the redos quickly become the bottleneck.
>
> So, my first suggestion would be for a write-intensive db:
> RAID1 (mirroring) two disks, giving you a 36G volume for the OS, oracle
SW, datafiles