Re: RAC Test System

From: Sal L <member46676_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:04:44 -0500

Would you mind sharing your experience on how to setup RAC on single

node by using 1 physical harddisk drive on a RH Linux 9 PC please?

Or maybe you could refer me to any web/documentation on it.

TIA, Andi

You can find detailed instruction on metalink.

Also I repeat my previous post to forum

It's very easy to install the Oracle 9iR2 RAC (ORAC)

for Linux to learn at home, at least on a single PC.

Procedure is the same as a usual Oracle installation under Linux except

some points (I've just performed these ones under RH 7.3.

Detailed information how to install Oracle 9(non RAC) on RH distros

you can find at http://www.puschitz.com/).

First of all, I suppose that database will be placed on standard

Linux file system such as ext2 (ext3). So create two files in the beginning:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/opt/oracle/CMDiskfile bs=4096 count=2500

dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/opt/oracle/srvconfig bs=4096 count=25000

chown root:root /var/opt/oracle/CMDiskFile

chown oracle:dba /var/opt/oracle/srvconfig

Then install Cluster Manager:

start the Oracle installer (OUI), from the Available Products window,

select Oracle Cluster Manager 9.2.0.1.0.

Enter name of your host for Public and Private Node names,

accept the default value for the Watchdog Parameter Value.

When prompted to enter a Quorum Disk file name, enter the full path

to the quorum disk file created above, i.e., /var/opt/oracle/CmDiskFile.

After OUI finished its work, exit and start Cluster MAnager (oracm):

$ORACLE_HOME/oracm/bin/ocmstart.sh

Check that oracm started:

ps-ef|grep oracm

If oracm didn't start check cm.log in the $ORACLE_HOME/oracm/log directory.

It's necessarily to start oracm otherwise RAC option will not available.

Again start OUI, select Oracle9i Database 9.2.0.1.0 ->

Enterprise Edition -> Custom and install Oracle 9i R2 with RAC option.

When prompted to enter the Shared Configuration file name, enter the full

path to the shared configuration file created above,

i.e., /var/opt/oracle/srvconfig.

It's possible to create database with DBCA but I prefer manually, based

upon clustdb.sql and init.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/srvm/admin.

Then you configure and start two or more instances (depend on

how much memory in your PC box - 256 MB minimum).

My recomendation - apply 9.2.0.4 patch because many bugs, especially in

oracm, were corrected. By the way, a new oracm included in the patch, works

with hangcheck-timer instead of watchdogd so you should delete all related

with watchdogd in cmcfg.ora,ocmargs.ora and ocmstart.sh.

Hangcheck-timer can be downloaded from oss.oracle.com, it's initialized

with insmod command and the following line should be added in the cmcfg.ora:

KernelModuleName=hangcheck-timer

You can move database and config files to network disk shared via NFS

or SMB protocols.