IMPORT - how many passes?

From: Walt <walt_at_boatnerd.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:11:29 -0500

I'm trying to import all the schemas* from our production database into a new instance (which will eventualy beome the new production database once I get it all to work).

On the new installation I create the database, create the tablespaces, create the users/schemas giving them quotas on the tablespaces they need. So far so good.

Next I want to run import - how many passes is typical for this? I understand I can't do it in one pass, beause I'll be trying to grant rights to objects that don't exist yet, and apply foreign keys to tables where the parent data may not exist yet.

It seems like I need three passes, but I keep reading that a two-pass import is the usual way to go. Here's what I think I need:

  1. rows=n, constraints=n, grants=n, indexes=n
  2. rows=y, constraints=n, grants=y, indexes=n, ignore=y
  3. rows=n, constraints=y, show=y, grants=n, indexes=n, ignore=y

Step three should build a text file that can be used to create the constraints and indexes. Is this the way to do it, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Or alternatively, anybody got a standard set of parfiles for doing this sort of thing?

details:
Current production Oracle 8.1.6 on winNT New database Oracle 9.2 on Win2k
The export file is from a full export, size just under 2 Gig.

--
//-Walt

//
//
*all the schemas == all our application schemas - not system, mdsys, ctxsys, etc.