Re: ODBC vs OCI

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:51:01 +1100

"Manoj George" <manoj.george_at_siemens.com> wrote in message news:bo85a0$2ek$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de...
> 1. Does ODBC driver internally uses OCI APIs, if not how the data
> connectivity is achieved.

Well, I'm not qualified to comment on the detail. But is there an OCI layer within the ODBC network stack? Yes, absolutely. It's why an Excel spreadsheet connecting to a RAC, for example, can fail over to the surviving node/instance when one instance or node fails (though it's not transparent, because Excel doesn't know how to make a call-back to the new node). Only OCI apps. can failover, so the fact that Excel, via ODBC, does failover means OCI has got to be in the ODBC stack somewhere (technically, I believe, it's an extension to the two-task common layer).

> 2. Is Data connectivity using OCI APIs is faster than ODBC API calls.

Heaps. A lot of clunking goes on inside that ODBC layer: you're converting non-OCI calls into OCI ones. Conversion takes time.

A native OCI app (such as SQL Plus, for example) will always rocket streets ahead of an ODBC-based app. in terms of the efficiency with which it handles connectivity between front and backends.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 07:51:01 CST