Re: Restoring backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:40:59 +1100

"Slava Pechenin" <slava_at_pechenin.ru> wrote in message news:1067930075.69443_at_iq.wbt.ru...
> Hi,
>
> To restore backup I use the following procedure:
> 1) drop database
> 2) create database, many options, time consuming
> 3) imp.exe to import data

Export is not a backup method. It's a method of snapshotting your data, that's all, and comes in handy on occasion for doing things like migrations, O/S changes, recovery from daft user errors without doing a major incomplete recovery. It should not be the primary method of backing up a production database, and can't be relied upon to do that sort of job.

The steps you outline here are a crazy way to back up a production database. Which makes me assume that this isn't a production database. But if it's not production, what is it?

> The data backup is done as follows:
> exp USERID=user/pass BUFFER=8192 FILE=OUTPUT.DMP GRANTS=Y INDEXES=Y ROWS=Y
> CONSTRAINTS=Y COMPRESS=Y OWNER=user FEEDBACK=10 log=expo.log
>
> Restore:
> imp USERID=user/pass BUFFER=8192 FILE=OUTPUT.DMP IGNORE=N GRANTS=Y
INDEXES=Y
> ROWS=Y FULL=Y COMMIT=Y log=imp.log
>
> Can I delete all objects from database before restoring and simply import
> data with droping/creating database (i.e. skip steps 1,2)?

HOw about reading what *real* backup and recovery is like before investing any more time in this "method"? Visit www.geocities.com/lydian_third and look in the "Books" link. You should find a long-ish paper I wrote a while back explaining what backup and recovery are really about.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 04:40:59 CST