Re: freebsd and oracle 9i support

From: <alcesteatxmissiondot_at_com.or.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:13:11 +0000 (UTC)

> 1) I need to connect (from my freebsd 5.1 workstation) to an oracle 9i
> (through sqlnet, tcp port 1521)??windows?2000?server,?is?that?possible?
> I need tools like sqlplus etc... are there know freebsd alternatives?
> 2) Is there a known oracle 9i client that works for freebsd?

As far as I know, the only way to use Oracle from a FreeBSD box is either:

+Using the "Thin" Java Driver and software that's entirely Java Based. That should work fine. There are some pure Java generic database tools that might do it for you.

+Using the Linux compatibility stuff. The FreeBSD handbook has instructions for installing Oracle 8.1.7 or 8.0.5 (strangely, only this link talks about 8.1.7
http://iamphet.nm.ru/freebsd/linuxemu-oracle8i.html) using the linux compatibility stuff but you surely wouldn't be supported by Oracle. This probably would give you enough to run something like sqlplus or something like Perl or TCL modules that needed libclnt.so

+use isqlplus on the database server and just point your web browser at the server from FreeBSD

Jer Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 03:13:11 CST