Re: Find out CPU number on Dell 2650

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 22:30:39 -0800

"Jack Wang" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<RVCpb.5793$6A4.3048_at_edtnps84>...
> I kind found out myself. It is probably because the Xeon processor employs hyper-threading
> technology where OS will logically 'see' 2x physical processors.
>
> - Jack
>
> "Jack Wang" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:sPypb.5620$6A4.2756_at_edtnps84...
> > All,
> >
> > I have a Dell 2650 with W2K, on which Oracle will be installed. I wanted to find out the number of
> > CPU that the machine has. Two CPU bars appear in task manager. Can I assume that 2 CPUs were
> > installed, or is it just an indication of two CPU slots with only one CPU installed?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Jack

it depends.
you have the choice as to whether to enable or disable SMT (Hyperthreading).
If there is a single physical processor, and SMT is enabled, then you already have a multiple CPU hardware abstraction layer of the NT kernel loaded, and you do not want to disable hyperthreading without also downgrading the OS kernel to a single CPU one. There is nothing wrong with your current configuration.

Latest I heard from an Oracle Sales rep, is that if you purchased your Oracle Server software license (database) per CPU, that it is per physical processor, not per logical processor, hence, you should leave hyperthreading enabled. Check with *your* Oracle Sales rep, as ymmv.

W2K does not know the difference between a physical and logical CPU. This could be bad in the case of 2 physical CPUs, where the scheduler could run 2 tasks, each on the same physical CPU, with one running on that CPU's logical CPU.

W2K3 still shows 2 CPUs per physical CPU in the task manager, but supposedly, the OS knows which one is real, and which one is virtual. I have not yet tested this.

hth.

Pd Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 00:30:39 CST