Which index is used when multiple are valid

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 09:43:55 -0800

Hi guys,
  I've been asked a question for which I'm not too sure. We use Oracle 9.2, with RBO (we're stuck with that choice because we use Siebel, please don't go there...). One of the DBA's asserts that if 2 indices are valid for a query, then the one created the latest will be used. Here's an example to make things clearer:

select * from my_table where col_a = 'A' and col_b = 'B';

Let's say I have 2 examples on this table: ind_a(col_a, col_b) and ind_b(col_b, col_a). Which one will my query use, and why?

Daniel Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:43:55 CST