Re: RAC Test System

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:52:58 +1100

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0311030343.4631a7c6_at_posting.google.com...
> I will be responsible for implementing RAC on one new system in our
> organisation. However, I've never played with RAC, so I want to have
> some simple but working test enviroment to learn how this beast works.
> Because one node only setup from oaktable.net is not enough for me

Why not?

A RAC is merely two or more instances managing the one Oracle database. Who said it had to contain more than one node?

If you want to learn RAC, then getting two instances co-operating is the nub of the issue, regardless of the number of nodes used. You will be wanting to configure GSD, practice failover, investigate load balancing, probe the networking latencies associated with the global cache service. All do-able on one node. You'll want to see what's different about backup and recovery, client networking configuration, OLTP and Warehouse issues. All do-able on one node.

Course, if you want to learn clustering, then that's a different issue, since clustering has nothing to do with RAC. But that's do-able on a single physical machine, too. You just need to virtualise your cluster hardware.

> thought about using two PCs with Linux on them. However, problem is
> with shared storage.
>
> Can someone of you here suggest some feasible and not very expensive
> solution. The only one that I can imagine right know is to use two
> SCSI cards with one disk drive. However, that doesn't looks very nice.
> So any better solution is really appreciated.

RAC has been done with compact flash cards, firewire, USB2 drives, you name it. I've even done it with a USB key drive physically inserted in one machine and NFS mounted onto the other.

Take your pick.

But the simplest, cheapest, most robust and repeatable testing is done with RAC on a single node. Anything you want to know about RAC (rather than clustering) can be done with that setup.

Regards
HJR