Re: hp vs sun for oracle

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:27:08 +0000

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:04:49 -0500, Rubin Farr wrote:

> Hello all. My company has decided to go with the comprehensive suite of
> oracle apps and we now need to choose a hardware platform. We are
> considering all options. From what I have researched thus far, however, we
> are laning toward hp-ux. Sun is also another strong contender.
>
> I was wondering what everyone else is running on production as far as a unix
> flavor (wintel is out for us.)

<SNIP>

Hi Rubin,

at present I'm not working :o(
However, when I was, I was in a software house in three parts geographically. Two sites had Sun and we had HP. HP is by far the most reliable - Our main production database was running on an old K420 server on HPUX 10-20 and Oracle 734 - it just ran and ran and ran. Uptime was measured in years.

I wasn't allowed to upgrade the OS or Oracle to a supported version because everything was fine - and nobody wanted the hassles that would be involved in swapping over.

We had another 4 HP boxes (2 L class, 1 N class and another K420) and all of them just worked on HPUX 11.00 with varios flavours of Oracle from 8.0 to 9i. No problems.

I don't consider myself to have much skills in the Unix admin part of my job because the systems just worked. I did a couple of OS upgrades on a couple of the servers - no probs.

Disaster Recovery is a doddle on HPUX - use the command Make_recovery_tape (or make_recovery) and that is it. All of the vg00 volume group goes to tape (or whatever) and you can reboot from it on a different server in the event of a disaster. We tested this at a DR provider and it was all as sweet as a nut.

The other sites have had engineers on site for days at a time to fix the Sun boxes - processor boards, Memory chips, discs etc - they just die with monotonous regularity. We had no mail for three days because the entire mail system at one site (on a Sun) went down and wouldn't recover.

DR is a PITA as well - or so I'm told by the Sun admins - who get more Unix experience on their boxes that I ever did on my HP 'babies'.

HP - know it, use it, love it !

And you can get Linux for it as well. :o)

HTH Regards,
Norman.

PS. Ok, we *did* lose one K420 processor once - in 7 years !

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.