Re: How fast should an IO be on a SYMMETRIX?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:59:56 -0000

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Sal L" <member46676_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message

> As Jonathan Lewis wrote regarding Symmetrix:
> "rate of 10 ms per read is pretty reasonable
> for random, non-cached I/O, unless you happen
> to have the newest fastest discs on the market"
>

> Well, but VC got the following numbers on his home PC with IDE disk:
> call count cpu elapsed disk query current
> Fetch 2 0.27 0.54 375 376 0
>

> Based upon method of Jonathan Lewis the rate of IDE disk is 1.44 ms
per
> read.
>
> Who can explain me why IDE disk in 7 times faster than Symmetrix ?

Good question - aand one which highlights the importance of careful testing and even more careful examination of the results. I don't have the eariler posts any more, so can't guarantee that the following comments are correct; but they should give some indication of the background thinking. a) 254 physical reads, 750-ish logical I/Os - the stats from the original post look like indexed access, where the index gets two buffer visits, and the table gets a physical read. Assume the poster is using a Symmetrix because they have a very large data set (I think 30M rows may have been mentioned). The output is consistent with the idea of extremely scattered single block random reads - and I based my comments on that assumption b) VC - 2 fetches, no rows, 375 disk reads, 376 logical I/Os. When reads = logicals, then I tend to assumed multiblock reads (table scan or index fast full scan). In this case, the number of reads might well be done 8 blocks at a time, so the read request count is actually 375/8 = 47 rather than 375 - which gives a read request time of about 11.4 ms, which is back to 'reasonable'. This assumes, of course, that an Oracle multi-block read is 8 blocks, and that the Oracle 8 block read-request turns into some form of real disk request that reads a contiguous stream of sectors from the disk. Option (B) to explain the VC figures is to ask if VC built a test case with a similar number of rows (30M?) with a similar row size, index type, and data scatter. It is possible that the PC test case left all the data in the file system buffer immediately after creation, even when it wasn't in the Oracle buffer. Even if it wasn't buffered, it could be that the nature of the data, setup, and hardware resulted in the hardware doing (say) a 64K read-ahead on the first read, so that 7 out of every 8 blocks that Oracle wanted had been pre-read with only a small amount of lost time on the 1st of each 8.
> And what is magic value of 10 ms for disk (may be this one is
defined by
> disk seek time) ?
Yes - typical manufacturers claims tend to be given as something around 100 - 120 I/Os per second (possibly a little higher, I haven't checked closely for some time). A "real" read time requires: time for the heads to move across the disc to the right track, and stabilise there. time for the disc to rotate so that the correct starting sector is under the heads. time for the disc to rotate far enough for all the required sectors to be read The frst two are typically a small number of milliseconds each, the third can vary qiute a bit depending on whether you are doing a single (Oracle) block read, or a 'lucky' multi-block read.