Re: what is the utility of the tablespace (newbie)

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 13:39:53 -0600

We have used the tablespace to separate all of 1 application's tables and indexes into separate files from other applications.

I think it is pretty common for applications to want (or say they need) their own tablespace for their application. This is not necessarily needed, but I like doing this unless the application is small (like less than 200Meg).

Before using the feature Locally Managed Tablespaces (LMT), I could see separating applications into separate tablespaces because they didn't all use a consistent segment size and ended up with fragmented tablespaces. But, with LMT this should not be an issue any more.

Note: With all of an application's data in 1 or 2 tablespaces ( although we haven't yet had a need to) you could easily move/copy an entire application from 1 server to another server using transportable tablespace feature.