Re: hp vs sun for oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 16:50:48 GMT

"Rubin Farr" <vcovco_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OdMob.91040$KB.6957_at_fe04.atl2.webusenet.com...
> Hello all. My company has decided to go with the comprehensive suite of
> oracle apps and we now need to choose a hardware platform. We are
> considering all options. From what I have researched thus far, however, we
> are laning toward hp-ux. Sun is also another strong contender.
>
> I was wondering what everyone else is running on production as far as a
unix
> flavor (wintel is out for us.)
>
> I would definitely appreciate any links or reviews that you might know of
> that could show objective reasons for choosing one platform over another,
> and definitely welcome opinions from those who have experience across
> several unix platforms.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I would have recommended SUN, but they have started to use cheaper parts and thus resulting in lower reliability. The company I work for recently purchased a large SUN box for over a $ 1,000,000 . The machine is only 4 months old and it has had a hardware failure 3 times. We have SUN support that guarrentees a 2 hour response time with parts and service. In two of the three failures they did not have the part in stock and we had to wait a day. We have not had these problems with older SUN machines. In addition, I talked to a hardware engineer that used to work on those SUN machines and found out in fact the bean counters have gotten hold of the quality and were substituting $35 board for a board that used to cost $50. False economy.

In the past I would have said either one are good machines. Now I am afraid not, SUN has gone to the bean counters, look elsewhere. Jim Received on Sat Nov 01 2003 - 10:50:48 CST