Re: Can I create temporary table across sessions/instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 07:52:57 +1100

"gdb_dsr" <ge_2000_2001_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6299d152.0310302339.1eb23027_at_posting.google.com...
> Mark,
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I am actually looking for some entity that resides in memory (no, well!
> minimal disk activity is ok as I am not interested in *any* log data)
> and can be seen across RAC instances just like table and changes made
> to it should reflect both sides. My sessions generate data/change/access
> finally discard the data and free the resources.
> I am considering to use regular table with "_disable_logging" at least
> to turn off redo, undo log, I know the down side of it but I dont know
> any better option.

_disable_logging is an init.ora parameter (and an unsupported one at that). It switches of redo writing for the entire database, not for a specific table. Not a good route to go: your entire RAC will be utterly irrecoverable if you use it.

NOLOGGING is an attribute of a table, and is more like what you are after. Except that it won't work the way you want it to, since regular inserts, updates and deletes *always* log, regardless of how many times you tell them not to with the NOLOGGING attribute.

Temporary tables are the only entity that genuinely don't create their own redo, for normal DML (though the undo segments still log). But they are designed for their contents to be private to the session that put it there.

Which leaves you the option of a regular table, which will generate redo and have the global cache service overhead, but which will be shareable amongst sessions.

Take your pick.

Regards
HJR Regards
HJR Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 14:52:57 CST