Oracle 64 bits and 32 bits oracle applications mix on same machine ?

From: Guy Dallaire <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:42:24 -0500

We used to run solaris 2.6 (32 bits) and oracle 32 bits on older machines. I'm new in the 64 bits world on solaris.

I just bought a new sun server (SPARC III) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it, in 64 bits mode,
which I think is the default (Can anyone confirm this ?)

Does anyone know if it is possible on the same server, which is running in solaris 64 bits mode,
and oracle 64 bits version, to run other oracle apps in 32 bits mode ?

For example, suppose I have an oracle 64 bits instance running on the server and I have some "legacy"
oracle applications that were compiled in 32 bit mode running (Ex: webforms server, old OCI apps) and I
don't have the source and I cannot recompile them.

Would those 32 bits application run OK ?

Also, I've heard that unless you REALLY NEED it (For HUGE SGA for example) you better stick
with oracle 32 bits because it performs better. Is that true ?

Thanks Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 07:42:24 CST