Re: How fast should an IO be on a SYMMETRIX?

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:43:44 +1300

Hi Scott

Agree with the comment made elsewhere that with a Symm you do need to look beyond the marketting. So many of the usual rules still apply - get more and smaller form factor disks if poss and go for mirroring rather than RAID 5 (RAID S in EMC speak IIRC).

I believe we had mirroring in the EMC and striping at the HP LVM level at one of my previous sites which seemed successfull.

It is possible to mis-configure and EMC and get really sluggish performance on some areas of "disk". We resorted to writing a program in C that did simple reads/writes (sequential and random) as a means of testing and identifying these disk hotspots which once identified were resolved by our EMC eggheads. Also meant that being a few lines of C they couldn't blame Oracle!

Have been impressed with the write speed of EMC's (and all the HA features) but have never been blown away with random read speed.