Re: ORA-01467: sort key too long (while gathering statistics)

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:38:59 +0100

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Repeat the operation with sql_trace set to true,
>check to see if there is an obvious recursive
>sql statement in the trace that is directly
>responsible for the error, then call it in to
>Oracle as a TAR.

I am following your advice and have set sql_trace to true. Unfortunately, we found out that at times, the materialized view being analyzed throws a similar error, so I went for tracing the creation of the view. It happens now that the view was created (and filled) flawlessly, but analyzing it afterwards fires the mention ORA error.

(This job recurs daily). Now I am tracing both, view creation and gathering statistics (which is being done using the dbms_stats package anyway).

>Is the Analyze command causing the problem -
>have you tested what happens if you try to get
>the same job done with dbms_stats ?

No analyze command, dbms_stats.

It is difficult to understand why this error occurs only sometimes, and then, either at view creation time or when analyzing the view (the view is reconstructed completely every time - don't ask me why).

I will let you know what we found.

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 15:38:59 CST