Re: Deleting statistics speeds up server?

From: mcstock <mcstock_at_enquery.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:22:31 -0500

hmmm

wasn't there a post recently about never needing database hints now that the 9.2 optimizer is so clever?

the optimizer is obviously making a poor choice when you have statistics -- which may not be its fault, if the statistics are not correct (i.e., on tables but not on indexes)

try setting AUTOTRACE ON in SQL*Plus (or otherwise trace the SQL statements) and examine the different execution plans with and without statistics, then work from there to try to determine why the optimizer is stumbling

Mark C. Stock
www.enquery.com
(888) 512-2048