Re: Difference between oracle Synonyms and Views.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:12:05 -0800

Rene Nyffenegger wrote:

>>Prem:
>>
>>True to form, that wanker Dan Morgan doesn't know the answer and once
>>again sends someone to an unsupported reference site.
>>
>>Quite simply:
>>
>>A Synonym creates a copy of the data but under a different name. You
>>see, you don't want people having to remember difficult names. Plus it
>>allows for data redundancy which cuts down on having to buy more kit.
>>This may influence the backup schedule but, who knows, give 'er a try.
>>

>Apart from the comments of others in this group about the technical
>accuracy of your post (which I share): If people don't want to remember
>difficult names, why not create the objects with easy names in the first
>place?
>
>Rene

That is only one reason. I was teaching synonyms to my students at the U last night and one example
mirrors your statement:

CREATE TABLE obnoxiouslynamedtable (
test VARCHAR2(20));

CREATE SYNONYM simple FOR obnoxiouslynamedtable;

But another was, perhaps, more to the point:

SELECT * FROM sys.v_$session;

CREATE SYNONYM sess FOR sys.v_$sessions;

SELECT * FROM sess;

One great use for synonyms is the ability to modularize. To eliminate the hard-coded pointing to specific objects in specific schemas.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu