Re: Performance DB-Link

From: mcstock <mcstock_at_enquery.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:47:34 -0500

It depends on how you use the db link -- and what you're comparing it to.

A db link is, in it's simplest use, just a database to database connection. There is some overhead to manage the distributed transaction, but if you're pulling data over the db link then there really is no distributed transaction -- that is, no need to do commits or rollbacks on the remote node. Anyway, your main concern will be to keep the data movement over the link efficient. If you do stuff like pull a row or two at a time within a loop (a common performance problem) instead of selecting the set in a single SQL statement, or do a lot of distributed joins, you will see performance problems compared to a non-distributed system.

Mark C. Stock
www.enquery.com
(888) 512-2048