database revovery issue(my system is down)

From: utkanbir <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2003 20:28:36 -0800

Hi Gurus,

I am using oracle 9i rac on linux itanium , with emc disk + raid 5. We are building a datawarehouse system .Today , we got error in one of the disks , unfortunately that disk contains system.dbf.
Than the disk is replaced , when we try to start the database , we got corrupted blocks . DB verify also reported corrupted blocks in system.dbf and user.dbf. So we decided to recover database BUT:

our data backups does not contain all the tablespaces , it contains system,undo,user ... but not our data tablespaces. (This is beacuse of the itanium machine .Our data backup software has no version for itanium , the only way to backup data is first store it in disk than tape. We dont have enough disk space to store all the data archive.) Is it possible to recover this database by using this backup? If i recover system,user,undo tablespace , will i use the other tablespaces again? I know that other tablespaces have no corrupted blocks.

'recover database using backup controlfile'

We tried the command , it asks some redo log file numbers to recover , than we
resetted the redo logs. But we still get data block corruption messages and database cant be opened.

If i restore system.dbf , undo and user , can i use other tablespaces? May be we made a great m&#305;stake of resetting logs.Instead of resetting logs , we must recover system.dbf from backup ??

By the way , i can open database as read only , and get my data. But some queries against dictionary gets corruption messsages , suc as tab$, dba_tables,etc..

So , within this current situation , if i do full restore and returns the tablespaces that are inside archive but not the others , what will be the status of other tablespaces? I mean if dbserver stores the information about tablespaces inside system or control files , can recovering them solve my problem since those tablespaces data are valid? Or will the status of other tablespace be offline? Than may be a patch can be applied?(if exists) Is there any number inside tablspaces (may be in headers) which describes the redo log number which is necessary for that tablespace? What is the relation between redo log file numbers and tablespaces?

Any help will be appreciated,
Kind Regards,
hope (although it remains less ...) Received on Tue Oct 28 2003 - 22:28:36 CST