Re: Question for exam regarding multiple block sizes

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:56:25 GMT

> maybe someone can answer this exam-question regarding 9i:
>
> What are the two methods used to add a second, or subsequent, block
> size to an exisiting database? (choose two).)
>
> A. Create a new tablespaces and include a block size specification
> B. Transport a tablespace with a different block size into the
> database
> C. Re-Create the control file to specify a new block size for specific
> data files
> D. Take a tablespace offline, and then put it back online with a new
> block size specification.
>
> I think it's A and B, my mate does not.

Why does your mate think not? Any good, rational reasons?

Let me ask you this question. Once a tablespace is created, how do you change the physical block size of those datafiles? It isn't possible. So that would strike D from the list of possible answers. Since a tablespace is made up of datafiles, and you can't change a tablespace's block size after it is created, then wouldn't that strike C as a possible answer too?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com