Re: Difference between oracle Synonyms and Views.

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:53:54 +0200

Hi!

View is basically a stored SQL statement, it enables you to reduce coding efforts, enforce some security constraints etc. Since it's nature, view can reference several tables and other views, as any normal SQL statement can.

Synonym, instead, is plain reference to a specifc object - in other words, an alias. It can reference only one object and it doesn't contain any SQL clauses like views do.

Tanel.