Re: How fast should an IO be on a SYMMETRIX?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:05:47 -0000

How fast are the discs in the Symmetrix ? Forget the b/s that EMC will give you about the massive cache - at some point you have to be hitting disc.

Your rate of 10 ms per read is pretty reasonable for random, non-cached I/O, unless you happen to have the newest fastest discs on the market.

Remember, too, that if you are using a Symmetrix, you may have no idea whatsoever about the other I/O that is hitting the same discs at the same time. James Morle has written a paper entitled Sane SAN that discusses the issues of black boxes like the Symmetrix.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Scott Watson" <nospam_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Group,
>
> I have the following query.
>
> select a.*
> from
> golfowner.scott_match_data a,
> (select * from golfowner.t_mtch_subj_id where rownum < 50) b
> where
> a.wb_ctry_cd = 785
> and a.subj_id = b.subj_id
>

> Using tkprof to collect waits for the above query I found that the
read time
> is what is impacting performance of this query. I would like to
know if
> these times are realistic for a lightly loaded server.
>
> The database is a 2node RAC cluster running HP-UX 11.11 with raw
partitions
> on
> a Symmetrix. Does my Symm need a check up or is there some setting
I can
> change
> to increase the read IO. ( Async IO is already set up )
>

> Thanks,
> Scottt Watson.
>

> select /* new */ a.*
> from
> golfowner.scott_match_data a,
> (select * from golfowner.t_mtch_subj_id where rownum <
:"SYS_B_0") b
> where
> a.wb_ctry_cd = :"SYS_B_1"
> and a.subj_id = b.subj_id
>
> call count cpu elapsed disk query current
> rows
> ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
------
> ----
> Parse 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0
> 0
> Execute 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0
> 0
> Fetch 33 0.06 2.50 254 736 0
> 473
> ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
------
> ----
> total 35 0.06 2.50 254 736 0
> 473
>
> Misses in library cache during parse: 1
> Optimizer goal: FIRST_ROWS
> Parsing user id: SYS
>
> Rows Row Source Operation
> ------- ---------------------------------------------------
> 473 TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID SCOTT_MATCH_DATA (cr=736 r=254
w=0
> time=2497285 us)
> 573 NESTED LOOPS (cr=299 r=36 w=0 time=239305 us)
> 99 VIEW (cr=36 r=0 w=0 time=660 us)
> 99 COUNT STOPKEY (cr=36 r=0 w=0 time=527 us)
> 99 TABLE ACCESS FULL T_MTCH_SUBJ_ID (cr=36 r=0 w=0
time=396 us)
> 473 INDEX RANGE SCAN SCOTT_MATCH_DATA_IX01 (cr=263 r=36 w=0
> time=237472 us)(object id 45838)
>

> Elapsed times include waiting on following events:
> Event waited on Times Max. Wait
Total