Re: SQL Server Yukon

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:40:42 -0800

Database Guy wrote:

>Don't know whose comment this was, but what about DATE bereft of TIME?
>Also DATE, TIME and TIMESTAMP data types are part of the SQL standard.

It was mine.

>>When a room full of industry professionals (my students) can
>>name a dozen or more Microsoft products and still think Oracle is a one
>>product company Oracle's marketing staff should be reduce to half-pay until
>>they earn the rest of their salary. Pricing wise ... its
>>going to change. Because if it doesn't Oracle's marketshare will erode.
>>

>Does 70% of Oracle's turnover come from DBMS sales or is it now only a
>little over 60%? I forget. The point is that Oracle *is* unhealthily
>dependent on database sales. And yes they are overpriced, but because
>of the heavy dependence on database sales, if they reduce the prices
>they hit the bottom line very, very hard. But if they don't they keep
>losing share, as you say. Meanwhile IBM and Microsoft sell their
>products at a fraction of the cost. I'm not a financial analyst but to
>me it seems a nasty position.
>

>DG

Exactly. Have you ever seen the huge list of Oracle products? I'll bet no one here can name
half of them. And I include Jonathan and Richard and Howard in that "no one." It is an
insane situation. So the corporation is primarily dependent for its revenues on a single product
that is almost always marketed like it was MS Access on steroids. So even the full feature set
of the database is almost unknown.

There is no question that databases are becoming a commodity. Prices must and will fall. And
unless Oracle replaces its current marketing zeros with a suite full of ones I expect things will
get a bit tighter for everyone in Redwood Shores.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)