Re: rollback segments question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:52:27 -0800

Maria wrote:

>Hello all
>
>I have 2 oracle database servers verion 8.1.7.4 on solaris 5.8, which
>I have the following rollback segements created:
>
>1) server #1
>"create public rollback segment RBS15
>tablespace RBS_TBS
>storage (initial 80000K next 80000K optimal 1700000K MINEXTENTS 20
>MAXEXTENTS 32765)"
>

>2) server #2
>"create public rollback segment RBS20
>tablespace RBS_TBS
>storage (initial 40000K next 40000K optimal 80000K MINEXTENTS 20
>MAXEXTENTS 32765K)"
>
>The tablespace is for #1 50GB and #2 40GB, my question is why is the
>tablespace for the bigger rollback showing only 2% used while for the
>smaller rollbacks is show 15% used. It should be the other way around
>?
>Can any one please help with this
>
>Regards
>Maria

Because that is how much they were used. The better question would be why, in spite of
advice from industry experts such as Tom Kyte, are you using different sizings on your
rollback segments and why, in spite of advice from industry experts not to are you using
OPTIMAL. What you have here is a recipe for ORA-01555.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu