? Replication using prebuilt table option

From: bonminh lam <hansmayer1962_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2003 06:51:38 -0800

I am in a project in which we are planning to migrate two ORACLE 8.1.7.2 databases to Oracle 9.2.0.4. The first one is the replication master and the second the replication client. The master is located in Germany and the client some where across the Atlantic. Some of the tables are a few gigabytes large.

The snapshots on the client will be dropped prior to the migration. To rebuild them after the migration, we are looking for an efficient alternative to the conventional CREATE SNAPSHOT way (without PREBUILT TABLE) The idea is that we will export the data rows from the master side using exp (will already be migrated on day X), compress the dump file and ftp the compressed file across the ocean. Then decompress and import the tables on the client side. We did preliminary tests with the PREBUILT TABLE option and it looks quite promising. We could create the snapshot with this option and periodical incremental refresh using snapshot log on the master side works fine.

However, to avoid surprises we would like to know how many sites out there have experience with this method and if there are any potential problems.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Bon-Minh Lam Received on Mon Oct 27 2003 - 08:51:38 CST