Re: Cache a table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:50:00 -0000

Certainly an argument in favour. But only if the tablescans are very frequent - then you have to ensure that the KEEP cache is large enough to hold all relevant objects.

However, if the database is running on buffered file system, then the cost of re-reading from file system might not be significant compared to other 'real' reads.

On the other hand, if you are doing extremely regular tablescans, you might ask why, and whether the correct solution is to use indexed access anyway.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")