ORA-01467: sort key too long (while gathering statistics)

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:08:02 +0100

This one is strange:

ORA-01467 : sort key too long

"Cause: A DISTINCT, GROUP BY, ORDER BY, or SET operation requires a sort key longer than that supported by ORACLE. Either too many columns or too many group functions were specified in the SELECT statement.

Action: Reduce the number of columns or group functions involved in the operation."

The developer came to me since he found out that the error occurs when analyzing the table (i.e., when statistics are gathered), so he has no way to solve the problem - it is not his own sort operation which fails. My only immeiate advice was to gather statistics with the estimate_percent option, hoping this will help.

What can be done other here? The maximum sort key is less than one Oracle block (8K in this case).

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Oct 26 2003 - 19:08:02 CST