Re: 7.3 on Windows 2003? And 9i on Windows NT 4.0?...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:56:05 -0800

Damien Vieli wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'll migrate from 7.3 to 9i (or 10, if it's possible), but I have 2 problems
>to resolve first (to see if it's possible to do the migration step by step
>with 2 servers...)
>
>Is Oracle 9i (or 10) running on a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6) server?
>Is Oracle 7.3 running on a Windows 2003 Server?
>
>Thank's a lot for your help, because I did'nt find information on the web...

Lets start off with the basics ... 10 does not exist. At the earliest will be released after the first
of the year ... and anyone that "migrates to it" when it is first released needs a competent
psychiatrist. 10g is a great Beta. But it will need to be thoroughly vetted before moving it into
production.

Oracle 7.3 may or may not run on Windows 2003 Server. But if it does it will be totally
unsupported by Oracle and it would make no sense to try to run the installation. At best you
will damage your resume. At worst you will damage the people that pay your salary.

The only sensible course is to migrate to the latest release which is 9.2.0.4 and then begin
testing with 10g as soon as it becomes available. You need to keep in mind that if you have
been working with 7.3 you are working with the RBO. With 10g the RBO is gone. If you
have been working with 7.3 you are working with dictionary managed tablespaces. With
10g they are gone. If you are working with 7.3 you are working with a rollback tablespace
and rollback segments. With 10g they are gone. You have a lot of catching up to do, with
9i, before you will be ready to work with 10g.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu