Re: Archive log files reaches maxloghistory

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:13:11 -0500

You will find that the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is more of a driver than MAXLOGHISTORY. For instance, C_F_R_K_T defaults to 7 days. Let's assume that you have MAXLOGHISTORY set to 1,000. What happens if you generate more than 1,000 logs in those 7 days? The control file will automatically expand and then the value for MAXLOGHISTORY will be increased. Eventually, the 7th day has been reached and the records will be overwritten in the control file. It was a couple of years ago that I did some experiments and posted the results to this very newsgroup.

HTH,
Brian

On Friday 24 October 2003 18:42, Peter thoughtfully contributed: