Re: Cache a table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:55:34 +0100

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If a table is frequently scanned (i.e. very hot), it is going to
remain in the
> buffer pool no matter what. Its no good use putting it in the KEEP
pool.

A little known detail about tablescans in 8.1 (and probably 9.2 but I don't recall confirming it) is that the touch count on blocks subject to tablescans is NOT increased - so even if a "small" table is loaded into the middle of the LRU chain and repeatedly scanned, it will always end up falling off the end of the LRU chain as other blocks are read into the buffer. It never gets promoted to the hot end unless it is also subject to indexed accesses.