Re: Quiz

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:04:09 -0700

Comments in-line

nobody wrote:

>must be bored or unemployed
>
>1)
> select *
> from test a
> where date_out in (select min(date_out)
> from test where location=a.location)
>

>ok I cheated and should spell out the elements instead of *

Incorrect. This returns a single record. The question asks you to return 6.

>2) Unless there is some new function in 9i that I am unaware of. I dont see
>how to do this without using a function that returns the locations of a
>character within a string to ensure
>that the brackets and space are in the correct place . without using
>instring or substring.
>
>The rest of the string can check for numerics or change or change the space
>to a + and abs(the string)
>if this doesnt fail the string is valid

It is actually quite simple and can be done in a single line of PL/SQL.

>4)
>select loc_name
>from test
>where location =
>(select max(location) from test
>where location != (select max(location) from test))

Good though there are variations on this so other correct answers may differ.

>P.S. What happened to 3.

It related to classwork as were questions 5 through 10.

I'll publish the answers on Sunday in case anyone else wants to have some fun with this.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu