Re: query problem - please help

From: foolishHurts <silverback_at_photobooks.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:47:46 -0400

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:23:21 -0700, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>foolishHurts wrote:

[Trimmed]

>A bit confused here.
>
>1. If it is their query why not throw it back on them?
>2. Since it is a vendor query can you modify it?
>3. Can you convert all of these CHAR columns to VARCHAR2?
>4. Have you tried omitting various clauses to see which one(s) are
>taking the time?
>5. What takes 10+ hours and what takes 8 seconds?
>6. Why the RULE hint in the insert statement?
1) They contract it out and the contractor is doing things that management deems a higher priority. Mine is not to reason why... 2) Yes. We take ownership.
3) Yes, but I was hoping to change it as little as possible until after things are better. If you think VARCHAR will fix it, I will do it. If it will just save space, I can wait until a maint cycle. 4) I eliminated the insert and went from "forever" to 8 seconds. 5) insert/select goes to never never and gets killed. select without insert takes 8 seconds.

For my next trick I have created the table seperately and tried to just "insert into". Same results so far at one hour.

6) No clue why she stuck hints all over the place. In most cases, stripping the hints helped performance by a factor of 10. I wish I knew more about them, but for now, I strip them and analyze and compare the performance.

"I will learn to fight fires after I put this one out". Heh. Received on Fri Oct 24 2003 - 10:47:46 CDT