Re: dbms_job question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:13:21 -0700

Volker Hetzer wrote:

>"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1066940302.848416_at_yasure...
>

>>Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to have a job run every 15 minutes between 7PM and 7AM
>>>every day accept sundays?
>>>

>>You but my feeling is that you should probably just run it every 15
>>minutes and make the
>>first statement in the procedure an IF statement that checks the clock
>>to see when it is
>>appropriate to proceed.
>>
>>With respect to Paddy's suggestion ... I'd avoid cron unless there was
>>no other choice. Cron has
>>numerous problems as compared with DBMS_JOB. The least of which is that
>>it requires involving
>>SysAdmins in everything you do.
>>

>Personally I'd like the fact that the sysadmin is responsible to make sure the
>cronjobs properly send their email. Much easier than using utl_smtp for it,
>especially if something goes wrong.
>
>If I don't need notification and don't care if it fails occasionally (taking regular
>statspack snapshots for instance) I use dbms_jobs and check the log files
>and job views.
>
>Lots of Greetings!
>Volker

I'd like to agree but I can't. Too many times I have developed on Windows and deployed on UNIX. Or developed on Sun and deployed on HP/UX or AIX. UTL_SMTP is operating system neutral. And as much as I enjoy working
with a good UNIX SA ... they have other work to do and rarely do they like what they do run through a QA
department before implementation.

In almost every production environment in which I have ever worked ... SA's operate outside of QA and that is
not a good place for important functionality in a deployed line-of-business application.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)