Re: Intelligent Agent. Shaken or stirred?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 22:24:58 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote

> Yeah Windows. Restored infrastructure and midtier after patches
> screwed things up, now Mr. I. Agent won't start, no messages, just
> weird "Failed to initialize context" message. Nothing in logs trying
> agntctl. Everything else works ok, after fixing mysterious corrupted
> services with oradim. Except of course for the stuff that doesn't,
> like orapwd. At least I've demonstrated to those that count (the
> money) that unix can get out of it's own way.

Do not disagree Joel.. but Windows is easier in many respects than Linux. No X issues. No QTlib issues (unless you actually do want to use a 7+MB QTlib RTS on Windows). No KDE vs Gnome. No driver issues (though this is fast becoming a thing of the past with Linux). No gclib issues. No assume kernels (although I do have my Win2000 configured using different HALs and kernels for booting via VMware or booting native).

My two major problems with Windows are that the hood is welded shut (so unlike Linux) and that everything and the kicthen sink are in a single basket. The registry. Ah.. make it three. Not forgetting the crappy command line scripting language.

I prefer Unix/Linux.. but that is not to say that Windows does not have its merrits too. Especially as a gaming platforms after doing some hard Unix work. :-)

--
Billy