Re: Partitioning tables reduces inter-instance block contention in RAC installations?

From: Hulse <hulse_kevin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 21:29:02 -0700

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<aQvlb.506$1W1.205_at_news02.roc.ny>...
> "Carey" <carey_42_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cda0caec.0310210617.2849f25_at_posting.google.com...
> > Chapter 3 of the Oracle 9i (Release 1) Real Application Clusters
> > Deployment and Performance guide contains a section on reducing the
> > overhead involved with inter-instance communication over the
> > high-speed interconnect when one RAC instance attempts to retrieve a
> > block that is "mastered" by another instance.
> >
> > The section mentions that one way to do this is by implementing table
> > partitioning by range. However I don't understand how this works.
> >
> --snip--
>
> In the documentation it states that this technique applies to single
> instance envs also.
>
> Don't get all confused trying to put an RAC specific spin on this
> advice.

The RAC docs contain plenty of tuning advice that is quite useful even for single instance databases. A necessary pre-requisite to clustering a database is to tune the snot out of it first. Performance issues that are present in a single instance could be magnified by clustering.

The same can also be true of throwing larger single image SMP systems at a poorly performing app+database. Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 23:29:02 CDT