'SELECT nexval FROM sequence' in a PL/SQL loop: use a cursor ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 07:03:09 -0700

Hi,
I found the following in the code of one of the developers here:
> FOR r_get_tael IN c_get_tael LOOP
> OPEN c_get_tael_seq;
> FETCH c_get_tael_seq INTO r_get_tael_seq;
> CLOSE c_get_tael_seq;
> BEGIN

which loops 140 000 times. The c_get_tael_seq cursor only performs a simple
> SELECT <seq.>NEXTVAL FROM DUAL;

so I just would like to know whether the fact he uses a cursor (that gets opened and closed 140 000 times) will have a bad impact or not compared with the use of the mere SQL statement it refers to, i.e. instead of using:
> FOR r_get_tael IN c_get_tael LOOP
> SELECT <seq.>NEXTVAL into <variable> FROM DUAL;
> BEGIN

??

What do you think ?
Thanks.
Regards,
Spendius Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 09:03:09 CDT