Re: Other commands instead of "show tables"?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 06:56:08 -0700

post_at_curt-balluff.de (Curt BAlluff) wrote in message news:<3f880d72.0310222246.5f628b32_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello
> I ask your pardon if this is not the proper NG for my problem.
>
> My problem:
> I,ve got a program (wage accounting) which can be administrated by
> "sql talk for Windows" (Centura I think, but there I didn't find any
> hint)
> I can connect to my database and 'select' works fine *if I know* the
> name of the table. Unforunately I only could guess the name of *one*
> table.
> "show tables;" doesn't work. This is the errormessage:
>
> (05034 TLK ISH Invalid show command
>
> Reason: Attempting a SHOW command and the type of SHOW indicated
> by the
> keyword immediately following the SHOW is invalid or
> misspelled.
>
> Remedy: Correct the SHOW command.)
>
> and this:
> (
> show tables
> ^
> Error: Invalid show command
> )
> As I'm not very familiar with SQL (just some MySQL) I don't know where
> to make enquiries.
>
> Any hints? At least the correct NG where I can ask?
>
> TIA
>
> curt

Curt, see the following articles for an introduction to the Oracle RDBMS dictionary tables which provide information about every object defined in the database plus access privileges.

How do I find information about a database object: table, index, constraint, view, etc… in Oracle ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/object_info.html

How do I find out which users have the rights, or privileges, to access a given object ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/privileges.html

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 08:56:08 CDT