Re: Question about Oracle 8i

From: ben brugman <ben_at_niethier.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:51:51 +0200

> Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and start by reading the concepts books.
> Then the architecture books.
> The differences between SQL Server and Oracle are very large and the
> more you know about them

There is a difference in how the both solve concurrency. (Snapshot isolation against locking mechanisms) But I (coming from a legacy database) find that both are very similar. Sometimes there are (a lot) of differences in the syntax, but in general I think both do a nice job of the ansi SQL implementation.

Even for DBA's where the difference is 'huge', I think there are a lot of similarities as wel.

> the bigger the differences. My students that come from a SQL Server
> background routinely say that
> they have more unlearning to do than learning.

Could you give some examples ?
What has to be unlearned ?

(Good principles for the one database are good principles for the other database.
Keeping in mind the differences in the concurrency system and syntax differences).

ben brugman.