"To xmldb or not to xmldb?", that is the question

From: Amvil Cox <amvil_at_softhome.net>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 02:34:18 -0700

I am currently evaluating Oracle XMLDB for a large commercial application, requiring the ability to install and manage several XML databases based on different and often complex schemas.

  1. Having done the initial technical evaluation, and having tried to install a few XMLspy-validated schemas, I encounter problems with some of them, with error-descriptions that do not help (ORA-31083: -> lookup => "error creating SQL type based on schema complex type").
  2. I'm also evaluating Oracle xmldb in terms of feature, performance and stability against other commercial xmldbs, including Tamino. My xml data is voluminous (50-100 million XML records) and my schemas are complex, and there seems to be little information from user-experiences out there.

Some specific techie questions:
1. Can we create partitions in a set of records that are all based on the same schema? How do we query records from a particular partition?

2. Is it possible to query records with synonyms of words present in the documents (some sort of a dictionary feature)?

4. Is it possible to query records based on the hierarchical directory structure using which the documents have been stored? i.e. can we query all documents that are stored in a specific path (including/excluding subdirectories)?

thanks in advance,
rgds,

Amvil Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 04:34:18 CDT