Snapshot refreshes

From: Don <don.robertson_at_halliburton.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 01:38:41 -0700

Hello,

When we refresh the snapshots on our Oracle Server (v9.0.1), it slows down data access so much that users running queries on the database via web apps regularly receive timeout messages.

The refreshes are automated and run every 3 hours using windows task scheduler to execute a script on SQLPlus which contains the snapshot refresh code.

eg, batch file to run sqlplus...
  sqlplus /nolog @\\[server]\[script].sql

contents of [script].sql (script may contain multiple snapshots)...   execute dbms_snapshot.refresh([snapshotname]);

If they take 15 minutes to refresh then the users basically can't use the system for 15 minutes.

Does anyone know how to increase snapshot refresh speed (I tried removing logging) or how to lower the priority of this task so it doesn't affect other queries as much.

cheers for any advice you can give. Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 03:38:41 CDT