Re: what is the value of export/import fromuser and touser switches?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:03:22 GMT

First, you'll be best served if you read the Oracle 9i Utilities Guide, particularly the sections on the Export and Import utilities. If you do not have a copy, you can find a copy on Technet (http://technet.oracle.com).

The TOUSER and FROMUSER switches apply to the import utility. The OWNER switch applies to the export utility.

You'll want to export schema AP on instance A1. So run the export utility similar to the following:

exp userid=system/manager file=ap.dmp log=ap.dmp owner=ap

The above exports just the AP schema (owner=ap) to the dump file. Then FTP the dump file, in binary mode, to your other server, T1. Once you have blown away the AP schema in T1, then you can import similar to the following:

imp userid=system/manager file=ap.dmp fromuser=ap

If you want this to be in a differently named schema, then you would need to include 'touser=new_schema' in your set of parameters.

Please read the Oracle docs on the exp/imp utilities as all of this is described therein.

HTH,
Brian

colinlyse wrote:

> From prior post
>
> Using oracle 9.2.0.3.0, on two Sun Starfire Servers both running Sun Unix, 8
> Sparc CPUs, 2 TB each.
>
> We have a schema AP on an instance A1 on a UNIX server A1. The schema has
> tables, views, constraints, no triggers, functions, procs, indexes etc.
>
> We have another schema AP on an instance T1 on a UNIX server T1. The schema
> has tables, views, constraints, no triggers, functions, procs, indexes etc.
>
> We have made major changes to AP on A1 and we want to blow away AP on T1 and
> replace it completely with AP from A1.
>
> I saw the there is a fromuser and touser switches to 'clone' a schema. what
> is the value of that? Can we use it for above? how is it different from
> export x import x

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"