Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:35:38 -0700

Guinness Mann wrote:

>In article <j0jlb.41302$Sc7.7924_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "Greg D. Moore
>\(Strider\)" <mooregr_at_greenms.com> says...
>

>>And the developer's edition [of SQL Server 2000]
>>is now fairly cheap as I recall.
>>

>Fifty bucks for the full (developer's license) enterprise edition of SQL
>Server 2000. Less, I think if you get it from a reseller. Great deal.
>
>Now if they only had a developer's license edition of Windows Server
>2003...
>
>-- Rick

So if the point was strictly dollars I could buy a PIII machine off eBay for a about $300.
I could put Oracle on it for free (by download) or SQL Server 2000 for $50.

I can then more than double the cost of my development environment by getting Windows XP
or I could get the O/S for free with Linux. Pretty sad when the operating system costs more
than the hardware and the database.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu