Re: RAIS THE RATES!!!!!!

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:32:40 -0700

No_h1b_visas_ever_again wrote:

>All you Oracle pros out there. We've been getting low balled for the last 2
>years. It's time to fight back.
>
>1) Raise your rates to at least $70/hr
>
>2) DON'T hire East Indians or Russians, or work for them
>
>3) Spread the word about companys that export jobs

1. Force yourself into unemployement?
2. Most of "us" aren't employers so you can safely bet we won't be hiring anyone.
3. And accomplish precisely what?

Let me suggest to you an alternative strategy:

  1. Get your Oracle skills up to the point that you know as much as those you complain about.

Here's a quick test to see if you qualify.

    Q1 Name at least two Oracle objects that allow overloading?     Q2. Name at least six different types of Oracle index and describe when to use them?

    Q3. Same as Q2 but describe when not to use them and when not to use any index?

    Q4. Write a single line of code that will identify whether a string is formatted as a valid phone number?

    Q5. What is the difference between TRANSLATE and REPLACE?
    Q6. What resources in Oracle are limiting resources?
    Q7. How do you resolve a many-to-many relationship in an ERD?
    Q8. What built-in package is used with transportable tablespaces?

There are thousands of these that I would expect most of those here on H1B Visas can answer but
where I suspect the average US developer would be clueless. The point is that Americans no longer
seem to value education.

2. Stop acting like you are entitled to a job and consider exactly how much actual work you have
accomplished at the end of each day, each week, each month.

3. Add value to your project by discovering and exploring considerations that no East Indian or
Russian could possibly understand or ask about your organization. Do you understand your
organization's accounting procedures? distribution contracts? vendor relations? And do you bring
that knowledge to what you do or are you just banging code?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu