Re: Optimal size for Redo Logs?

From: WebYourCompany <web_yourcompany_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2003 11:14:15 -0700

If logs are too small then Oracle checkpoint frequency will be high, which can affect DBWR and checkpoint behavior. On the other hand if logs are very large it could take a long time to recover in the case of crash.

We have to trade those two things off. It is not possible to provide a specific size recommendation for redo log files, but redo log files in the range of a hundred megabytes to a few gigabytes are considered reasonable. Size your online redo log files according to the amount of redo your system generates. A rough guide is to switch logs at most once every twenty minutes.

Statspack report will tell you redo/second on the top of that report.

HTH,
http://www.WebYourCompany.com