Re: 8.0.5 client to 9.2 database?

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:15:23 -0500

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Peter Sylvester wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to connect a 8.0.5 Windows client (under W2K, running older
>> forms app on client) to a 9.2.0.3 database server on Solaris.
>>
>> Is this possible? I could not get it to work - got various TNS related
>> errors depending on what was in tnsnames.ora.
>>
>> I was able to get the 8.0.5 client to connect to an 8.1.7 database on
>> the same Solaris server. I used the net80 Assistant, as I know there is
>> some sensitivity to formatting in the earlier 8.X releases.
>>
>> thanks,
>> --Peter
>>
>Why not install the 9 client on the windows machines?
>
>I have up to 400 windows machines connecting to various oracle versions,
>until recently everything from 7.2 on AIX to 8.1.7 on Windows and
>Solaris, and always use the latest client available, no problems so far...
>
>hth

Well, you will find a problem..The 9.2 client will not communicate with your v7 Oracle databases...( If you still have any)

As to the OP's problem, I have used the 8.0.x client to connect to a 9.2 ( needed to do exp/imp for an older 8.0.x version from the 9.2 data)
 but, your advice is sound, upgrade the client.